Filming on Campus
SF State is a registered partner of the California Film Commission and the City of San Francisco and offers a wide range of filming locations throughout the campus community.
All filming event requests and documentation shall be submitted, approved, and scheduled with at least 2-weeks advance notice from the planned filming date. This time allows for the appropriate review and coordination for your shoot.
Two (2) business days prior to filming, the following documents and payments must be received by your Event Coordinator:
- Signed Film Permit
- Certificate of insurance (including additional insured endorsement)
- All fees and estimated charges
Film Permit Fee: $135/hour
Facility Rental Fee: variable, subject to discretion based on impact to campus activity
The LESSEE must provide evidence of all necessary insurance as required by the California State University:
- A certificate of insurance with appropriate certificate and additional endorsement indicating that the required coverage is in effect for the duration of the event.
- The certificate of insurance must include a separate additional insured endorsement letter, stating the following: “The State of California, Trustees of the California State University, San Francisco State University, and the officers, employees, volunteers and agents of each of them as additional insured”.
- Filming on campus should not interfere with normal University business and/or previously scheduled events.
- Specified campus locations will be approved for specific date(s) and time(s) at least three (3) days prior to filming.
- LESSEE must be sensitive to issues of diversity. In no way may any individuals engage inaction or dialog on film maybe defamatory to any organizations, groups or individuals relative to: ethnicity, gender, physical abilities/qualities, age, race, sexual orientation, religion, or culture.
- LESSEE is not permitted to film anyone on University premises that is total nude or wearing a g-string, thong underwear, or breast tassels.
- LESSOR reserves the right to request film credit acknowledge as part of this agreement.
- LESSEE is hereby notified they are filming on an active University campus with active classes and events. Conference & Event Services will make every effort to minimize noise near the filming locations, but there may be circumstances out of the LESSOR's control when we cannot guarantee there will not be any noise.
- During the event, the Event Coordinator is the final arbitrator on any issue that may arise regarding use of the facility as it relates to this agreement.
- Per the Licensing agreement, use of multiple locations will warrant additional fees. Facility fees will be assessed for use of each major location (smaller locations, such as classrooms or an outside lawn area may be bundled as a major location). In the case of multiple camera crews working in different locations, a police officer and a liaison will be assigned to each location and billed accordingly.
General filming on campus: Complete a Film Permit Questionnaire
Local news and media reporting: Do not require a film permit. Contact the Strategic Marketing and Communications office at email@example.com for more information.