EVENT PLANNING STEPS
ELIGIBILITY FOR USE OF FACILITIES
Housing, Dining & Conference Services (HDCS) offers a wide variety of conference options to groups that are educationally based. In order to reserve meeting space a client must be a member of one of the following categories:
Non-University Groups or Individuals | Non-profit and for-profit organizations or individuals unaffiliated with a campus entity.
Please Note: All inquiries are subject to review of the campus academic schedule to reduce conflicts with university programs.
University Departments/Affiliated Organizations | Any university department or affiliated organization (University Corporation, College of Extended Learning, Associated Students, etc.).
Student Organizations | Any student organization properly registered with and recognized by Student Activities and Events (SAE). A student organization that is in the process of forming may still inquire about availability of space. An event application must be placed through your organizations portal with SAE prior to booking a space. Campus-affiliate rates apply.
PERMISSIBLE TYPES OF ACTIVITIES
Outside organizations may rent facilities for the following types of activities:
- Instruction-related activities, such as classes and workshops that do not conflict with the University’s academic programs.
- Instruction-related activities of professional associations.
- Campus-sponsored meetings or activities of off-campus nonprofit organizations.
- Non-campus sponsored meetings or activities of off-campus organizations.
Conference and Event Services is responsible for the scheduling and contracting of campus facilities for external and university-affiliated organizations.
SCHEDULING TIME FRAMES
Summer Session Dates
Requests for space can be made up to three years in advance for dates that do not conflict with dates for Orientation or other institutional needs.
Fall & Spring Semester Dates
Reservations for University-sponsored conferences can be made up to one year in advance.
Reservations for non-University sponsored conferences that are not coordinated by Conference & Event Services can be made up to two years in advance. Such requests will be subject to special review by the Dean of Students, or the Dean’s designee.
Conference and Event Services will consider requests for days when the campus is scheduled to be closed due to a holiday. However, such requests may not be able to be fulfilled.
Campus facilities may be placed on “hold” for a period of up to 14 number of days. Failure to confirm a request by submitting a completed request form within the 14-day period may result in cancellation of the “hold” status and assignment of the space to another party.
Please Note: A “hold” reservation may be challenged by a group planning an event and in need of the same space. At the time the “hold” reservation is challenged, the group with the “hold” reservation must either confirm its intention to reserve and submit a completed request form or release the space.
The Conference and Event Services staff may not be able to fulfill reservation requests received less than fourteen (14) days prior to the proposed event. If the space is available, it may be assigned, but special services may not be available. Special services include room arrangements or requests for audio-visual equipment. Late requests are subject to an administrative fee.
The Conference and Event Services Event Coordinator will serve as the event planner and will assist clients with permitting, delivery arrangements, and ensure the availability of adequate utilities to support the event. Our Event Planning Guide provides a detailed timeline to help you plan your event.
Events coordinated through Conference and Event Services are supported by a professional staff member and student event staff including ushers and audiovisual technicians. Each event will be assigned the appropriate number of student staff to best support the scheduled activities and an hourly rate for the student staff will be charged to the sponsoring organization.
PAYMENT OF FEES & SERVICES
Payment is due in full 30 days prior to the scheduled event. For events that are less than 30 days to the scheduled event, payment is due no later than ten (10) business days prior to the scheduled event.
Please Note: At the discretion of Conference & Event Services, partial payment or a deposit may be required at an earlier date or full payment may be requested from non-affiliated groups in advance of event. Clients will be informed of this requirement in writing.
ACCEPTED FORMS OF PAYMENT
- American Express
- Money Order
- Electronic check
- University Department Accounts
- Foundation Accounts
Please Note: Credit card payments will incur a 2.75% service charge.
Make check(s) payable to Housing, Dining & Conference Services and mail with your signed copy of your agreement to:
San Francisco State University
Housing, Dining & Conference Services
800 Font Boulevard
San Francisco, CA 94132
Attention: Financial Services
ADDITIONAL REQUIREMENTS AND CHARGES
- TAX EXEMPT ORGANIZATIONS - A copy of your tax exempt certificate and details confirming what purchase items are included or excluded in your exemption must also be submitted to Conference & Event Services. This certificate must be received prior to the date of your scheduled event.
- Sales tax of 8.75% will be added to your bill for food and beverage only.
- The Client/Lessee is responsible for all loss and damage resulting from use of San Francisco State University premises.
- If there are additional charges after the space rental agreement has been signed, the LESSEE will receive a final bill within seven (7) business days after the event. Additional charges must be paid within fourteen (14) business days of the additional billing.
Notice of cancellations must be communicated in writing.
Refunds will exclude actual costs that have already been incurred by the client and are subject to the following time frames:
|20 business days prior to the scheduled event:||100% of contract amount|
|10-19 business days prior to the schedule event:||50% of contract amount|
|0-9 business days prior to the schedule event:||no refund|
Conference & Event Services reserves the right to dismiss any participant found responsible of misconduct or what the University deems to be inappropriate, unsafe, or illegal behavior.
In no event shall the Client/Lessee or Lessor be financially responsible or liable for any cancellations, failure or delay in the performance of its obligations hereunder arising out of or caused by, directly or indirectly, forces beyond its control, including, without limitation, strikes, work stoppages, accidents, acts of war or terrorism, civil or military disturbances, nuclear or natural catastrophes or acts of God, pandemics and interruptions, loss or malfunctions of utilities, communications or computer (software and hardware) services; it being understood that the Lessee shall use reasonable efforts which are consistent with accepted practices in the higher education industry to resume performance as soon as practicable under the circumstances.
In the event that California considers it necessary or prudent to cancel this rental agreement due to circumstances related to a pandemic, CSU may do so and be relieved of any further financial obligation, risk, or other liability by providing seventy-two (72) hours prior written notice of cancellation to Client.
FAILURE TO CANCEL
If the facility not used and was not cancelled in accordance with the timeline under “Cancellation,” clients will be responsible for 100% associated fees as stated on the most recent confirmation issued to the client.
At the time of the reservation, clients will be asked for the total time needed for the requested space (including setup and clean-up time), desired setup style (theatre, conference, classroom, banquet, etc.), audiovisual needs, and whether food will be provided. Conference and Event Services staff will draft a schematic design of the event set-up (floor plan).
RESERVING SETUP/CLEAN-UP TIME
Client/Lessee may use the Facilities only for the purpose of hosting the event listed on the Agreement on the date(s) and during the time(s) listed on the Space Rental Agreement (the “Use Period”). If rehearsal, or setup/clean-up time for the event is required, it must be scheduled at the time of initial booking and is subject to availability. Typically 1 hour on either side is sufficient; 2 hours for more extensive events.
Please Note: A request from a client to enter a facility before the beginning of the reservation time on the day of the event or to remain in the facility after the reservation time may be denied. If the event does not end as prescribed the Client/Lessee may be charged for the applicable time and staffing fees.
EVENT PLANNING TIMELINE
2-12+ MONTHS IN ADVANCE
The following should be done before contacting Conference & Event Services:
- Determine conference/event budget
- Set preferred and alternate conference/event dates
- Determine estimated guest count. Conference & Event Services recommends being conservative in your estimates as unrealistic numbers can be costly. You can always increase your guest count before arrival - pending availability and subject to additional fees.
- Determine meeting room needs and seating arrangements, including A/V equipment and catering needs.
- Review Conference & Event Services terms and conditions.
1-2 MONTHS IN ADVANCE
- Submit Certificate of Insurance (COI) and Additional Insured Endorsement (AIE) Letter as outlined in Space Rental Agreement.
- Submit catering service requests with estimated budget.
30 DAYS IN ADVANCE
- 100% payment of conference/event balance due
- Provide updated event agenda, service timelines, and guest counts
- Submit bus/shuttle permits and/or parking requests - payments for parking permits are non-refundable.
- Alcohol Clearance Form due
3 WEEKS IN ADVANCE
- Signed Space Rental Agreement due
- Reservation cancellations or additions due - fees and/or penalties will apply after deadline
2 WEEKS IN ADVANCE
- Final guest count due - changes to guest count or services after deadline may have additional fees
- Provide conference/event logistical changes
1 WEEK IN ADVANCE
- Event changes no longer permitted without penalty
- Final agenda and service timelines due
DAY OF EVENT
- Facilities will be unlocked at confirmed conference/ event reserved time